What is the Best Roof Coating? | Foam Tech
Quality Commercial Roof Coatings In Texas
As the owner or maintenance manager of a commercial structure, do know when roof coating vs replacement is best? If you decide to go with a roof coating, do you know which one that will provide the benefits of roof coating and sealer, especially if you’re needing roof coating to stop leaks.
You want to make sure you choose roof coating you can walk on without concern of it causing problems. So how do you know what is the best roof coating for a flat roof?
There are several factors that can determine which of the four types of Elastomeric roof Coatings:
- Butyl – This roof coating comes recommended for repairing a flat, low-sloping roof with built-up PVC or single-ply. It has a high resistance to ponding and performs a vapor barrier.
- Acrylic – This roof coating comes recommended for sloped roofs and because it is environmentally friendly and has a longer lifespan, making it a preferred choice over Butyl.
- Polyurethane – For EPDM rubber roofs, this is the recommended roof coating because a high PH rinse isn’t required. This roof coating works well on modified bitumen and single-ply.
- Silicone – Silicone coating is recommended for polyurethane foam rooftops because it is best for repairing weather damage like UV rays. For an existing silicone-coated roof, this roof coating comes recommended.
Does Roof Coating Stop Leaks?
To stop a roof leak, silicone roof coating provides a perfect solution, and you don’t have to patch one hole at a time, just coat the entire roof with the silicone.
How Do You Stop A Flat Roof From Leaking?
The odds of a commercial structure having a flat roof are likely. Why? Because they are cheaper to build and easier to maintain. However, if you don’t keep up with maintenance, you may find a swimming pool inside the building one day after heavy rain. The only thing worse would be a plumbing emergency that has flooded your building.
If you have taken possession of the building recently, you may not even be aware the was a problem with the roof which would show you didn’t perform true due diligence of the building’s condition.
Once you notice you have any size of a roof leak, it is important to get it repaired quickly. The longer it goes unrepaired, the more damage it can cause. Sometimes roof leaks can do repairs yourself, however, if you have any of these issues, seek the services of an experienced flat roof contractor:
- Roofing felt has large holes
- Existing roof surface has cracks
- Debris has punctured the roofing surface
To determine if the leak is something you can fix take follow these steps:
- Find the source of the leak. Where the leak is coming through inside isn’t necessarily where the leak is on the exterior. Measure from where you see the leak on the inside to the closest wall.
- Climb up to the roof and using the measurement you took from inside, start looking where the leak could be from the exterior. Signs to look for are damaged membrane around the flashings and plumbing vents.
- Remove the debris from where you suspect the leak and anywhere else on the roof. If you notice any normal wear and tear, this indicates the roof has simply reached its end of life.
- Dry around and on the area of the leak. We know flat roofs for ponding water and any repair work is not possible until the leak area is dry. Otherwise, repair on a wet area will trap the moisture and mold will start growing.
- Identify the damaged area, such as blisters on the flat roof, which indicates that air or water has seeped in between the roofing layers. Look for cracks, a sign of UV ray damage. Knowing what kind of damage that the roof has incurred will tell you how it needs to be repaired. If the damage is severe, call a professional roofer.
- Cut our the damaged and then apply roofing cement between the layers of the roofing material. Apply even pressure to the area where the roofing cement is applied, then nail it down. As soon as you have the leak temporarily fixed, call a roofing contractor for a permanent repair or a replacement roof.
They may apply a layer of roof coating and along with your temporary patch, it could extend the roof for a short while so you can budget a full replacement.
How Do You Waterproof A Roof?
Follow these steps to help you waterproof the roof so that the contents, your employees, and customers are safe.
- Measure the length and width of all roof surfaces.
- Using a push broom and pressure washer, ensure all the dirt and dust are removed.
- Apply elastomeric roof coating with a paint roller.
How Long Do Roof Coatings Last?
The average life span of properly applied roof coating can be ten years. Things that can affect the longevity of roof coating are things like the climate, environment, and lack of maintenance.
Roof coat that has been applied properly and regularly, along with regular inspection and maintenance, can extend the life of a flat roof by 10 years. This is one expense that a building owner should not skip in order to keep their building in good condition. For your roof coating needs please contact us at your local Foam Tech location today!
GET IN TOUCH
We are the undisputed leader for the application of spray foam roofing, insulation, and roof coatings. Foam Tech can provide unparalleled service for your home or business. To learn more about how Foam Tech can benefit your structure, or to schedule a consultation for spray foam roofing in Dallas and Lubbock, TX, give us a call today!